Sunday, July 10, 2011

Going Vegan

I've been eating vegetarian again for about 6 months, finally realizing this is who I really am and that it's okay if Danny wants to eat meat - I don't have to. Over these last 6 months, I have lost over 40 pounds and 10 inches. I am obviously right about who I am :)

Last month, Dan picked up Kathy Freston's Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World. So much of what I found in this book rang true to me, from poisons in our food, to the real causes of cancer, and the inhumane treatment of animals. I immediately began rethinking everything I was eating - no longer eating anything made with eggs unless the eggs came from my own coddled hens. Casein became an enemy - causing cancer almost as certainly as bleach will. I even investigated the alcohol we drink - and personal products we are using.

As I started to eat a lot more vegan, I also realized there are some substitutions that don't make sense to me. I have found artificial colors and trans fats in many substitute products. I am certainly still learning this way of life - even having been vegetarian for several years in the 70's-80's, veganism is new to me.

Today I am starting a three week journey into strict veganism. I look at it as an adventure - one that might continue on for the rest of my life. There is a part of me that feels true authenticity can't be found in substitutes. This doesn't mean I won't carry on vegan - but may give up the substitutes altogether.

That said, I'm still looking for a good vegan parmesan cheese ....

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment